Boscoe is a black labrador retriever puppy. He will hopefully be an accomplished hunting retriever in the future. This blog will serve as a record of sorts for his training as he progresses and grows. He's a great pup!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006




This is Boscoe in his puppy prison on our trip over the weekend. He did great! His crate training is going very well, no accidents in the crate. It is such a useful tool for housebreaking. So far he has lasted 7 hours overnight without needing a potty break. He gets taken out as soon as he comes out of the crate and he is learning the routine. He has even started going to the door (we always use the same door when he goes out to go potty) when he needs to go out.

The first picture is the little devil finally sitting still!! His "sit" is coming along very nicely! I don't use treats as often as I should but he performs about 95% of the time (when he is focused on me). I like the idea of using the treat (or sometimes just the hand over his head) to get him to look up and sit vs. a lot of hands-on like I did with my last lab. Not quite sure why I like it yet but so far it seems more effective (if you take out the fact they are different dogs lol). He will sit for food and water but is far from learning that sit means stay as well. But I certainly don't expect that out of a 10 week old pup! Plenty of time for that later, right now he's enjoying being a pup. I must add that usually if I don't have a treat I have a toy I reward him with or he receives his food or water immediately after his sit. He's a great boy, a really quick learner. I hope I can keep up with him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home