Boscoe is a black labrador retriever puppy. He will hopefully be an accomplished hunting retriever in the future. This blog will serve as a record of sorts for his training as he progresses and grows. He's a great pup!

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Second day at it....

Ok, so we had the second day of quiet retrieving. Vey simple, very short throws. No guns, no whistles, no calls, no nothing. I had a helper so we threw, enforced sit and quiet, mark got picked up by the thrower, and we tried again. Out of 6 - 8 throws, Boscoe got to retrieve one. It was noticable however after several throws he was whining more than barking and was quiet sooner. Also, he was sitting better so it was easier to work on getting him quiet. His deal is he lets out a big bark and a jump when the mark is thrown. For the second day at it I really don't think it went badly. I also did some heel/here work with the check cord and slip lead. This was out in the yard and while he started trying after a bit, his focus was on all the smells, etc...not on me. I think to help with the lunging issue I'm going to introduce him to the prong collar and use it when we are retrieving. I'm hoping this will allow me to focus more on the barking than the sitting. Don't worry, sit will be a regular on the OB sessions! He's going to be a handful, as Travis says, but we'll keep at it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home